Friday, September 26, 2008

Sunsets & Sushi


First I would spot a group of peers. The larger the better. No less than seven. They were required to be in a disorganized clump but close enough in proximity to one another for the unaided human voice to reach each individual. 

Once I spotted the proper environment I would then project my voice with a weight of importance, indicating the necessity of promptness in response. Some phrases that might be used were "Hey, come here." "Everyone. Pay attention. Over here." "Come close!" "Closer." "Really, everyone lean in." "Quietly now. Listen." "I have something to say." After I had ensured complete silence and every eye was locked to mine, I would wait. I would silently look from person to person to person with a slightly approving grin. Inevitably, someone's patience would cease and he or she would say, "What?!" in a raised, aggravated tone. In response, I would allow the grin to grow, to creep over my face, blooming into a full smile. Then I, with utmost timing, would unleash the punchline: "I just wanted to be the center of attention."

...The story of some boy crying wolf was lost on me. The moral never hit home. I was sure that this boy doing the crying wasn't passionate enough. He never sold it. I, on the other hand, could sell it every time.

From Sunsets and Sushi by David Crowder.

No comments: